Saturday, May 19, 2007

Meeting 19 May

Ok, I made it! I don't know what took me so long to figure out, the Google account probably, couldn't remember my password. Hi there, this is Anna. I live in Dublin and I was an intern at Cultivate in 2005. It was a good experience, and somehow changed my life (Anna and her Italian drama). I try to go to Cultivate as often as I can, which means that I am never around. But I did turn up for the last meeting (Mon 19 May). You all seem nice people so can somebody tell me why last Monday (apart from our beloved staff) had I the impression that I was sorrounded by people whose attitude was a bit over the top, so to speak? For a start, I think we badly need a Chair, a facilitator, call it what you want, but we need someone who knows when to tell people to please, stop talking (I'd love to be that person just for one time). The meeting was hijacked and the questions raised were far beyond the very nature of the meeting itself. If the meeting was called in order to involve new members and volunteers, we do need some structure and some organisation. For example, when Ben makes his introductions, I think it would be a good idea to keep it short and to the point. It is very difficult to maintain people's attention after 10 minutes, unless you engage in lively conversation. I struggled to follow him from A to Z, but as everybody else I had been working for 8 hours, and already a bit tired. So, I admit it, I couldn't. I don't even know if he got to The Point, i.e. where Cultivate is going, to what extent has its mission changed, and therefore the aims. Maybe he gave a brilliant explanation of it, but honestly I cannot tell. A few slides (or similar), that you can use everytime you hold these meetings, would help. And we need some input if you want some feedback. I asked 3 people inside the core organisation about the changes that you hope to bring about in Cultivate. None of them could give me any guidance, because they didn't know. There is somebody among us witholding vital information..............I seeeee youuuuu! :) Call me a bitch, call me a ball breaker, but it is frustrating to see the same problems untackled months after months. And anyway, I am not the only one who feels this way...........I seee yeee toooooo! ;) That's enough. This inhuman effort of diplomacy made me tired and in the mood for a nap. I gave - perhaps threw - some input and I would appreciate some feedback. The more controversial the better. Have a nice weekend Anna

3 comments:

Blue Canary said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Erik said...

OK guys....I agree with a lot of the points you are making here, but I am not entirely sure this is the forum for it. My hopes for this BLOG were, and still are, that it can be used by all the people who have a shared history at Cultivate, and who share an enthusiasm for sustainable living....to build a community with each other. This community now has enough members to become something real here, and is in many ways independent from the day-to-day activity inside Cultivate. It is definitely independent from any monthly volunteer meetings at the centre. I am not saying it has no connection, but I am seeing the posts about how this meeting should be different as taking energy away from a very positive re-connection process that the BLOG is developing. Possibly comments appeared here because there was no other obvious place to lodge them, but maybe that is an indication we need to create a different space for the more immediate Cultivate/Community discussions. My own preference would be to keep this BLOG focused upon constructive and mutually supportive interactions among the Cultivate Alumni. But, maybe that's just me?

Nic said...

Here I am after a very sporty weekend (otherwise my back break down!).
Yeah.. I definitely agree with Anna and her points: something would have to be said about those issues..
However, according to Erik, maybe this is not the right place. In any case, nobody of those who are involved in the volunteer-members platform hang around here! Erik, do you want me to open another forum?! :)
I'm gonna get in touch with you all by email soon: I'll ask you to do something, which I'm sure you'll find very relaxing, expressive, reflexive, exiting.. something which makes order around you.. and inside you too!