Tuesday, June 5, 2007

A peer to peer Wi-Fi Community!

Ok folks, you have to listen this. When I came back to Italy a month ago, I found that the modem my parents were given by the bigger Italian ISP (Telecom Italia) did not work with my laptop. This was due to the crappy modem itself (which is basically old trashware from France), but also to my operating system (which is not Windows, but a Linux Distribution). Thus, I decided to buy another sort of modem, which is a wi-fi antenna for 20 euro (so that I could bypass cable configuration problem). Well the point is that this apparel generates 2 different wi-fi signal: one for you, and one for the whole lot of people worldwide spread who have bought the same stuff. So, if somebody of them walked near my place in Italy, S/he would be able to connect to the internet through my antenna. Obviously, for free!! And obviously, if I went to NY Time Square, I know I'd get free roaming for shure! The FON community was kicked off by this spanish guy, as a non profit organization, and his wish was to create a shared network similar to the ones used for file sharing and open souce stuff development. Furthermore, they are about to commercialize a mobile phone which works within this huge wifi network, using Skipe software (the picture). Quite interesting, isn't it?! Anyhow, you can get the antenna in the FON website (have a look!), but if you wanna get it for just 20€ you will have to be invited by a member (me!). So, have a look, and just ask! Maybe Cultivate itself might get a Fonera (the antenna). Then loads of people could connect to the internet from the courtyard!Uoooh!

4 comments:

fra fra said...

Cool stuff,nic!Could be very useful for me when I go back to Italy...don't know exactly when, and "if" in particular, but it's nice to know there is this possibility around!

Martin Giannini said...

Cool man. Please send more detail to me... It sounds like something worth investing in. The idea and the hardware. Martin

Nic said...

ok martin. For now this stuff work as a router which create 2 wi-fi signal: one privare for your place, and another one for whoever has another router at her/his place, and might hang around your place. These, can connect to the internet for free, without busy your band (settings are up to you). Also, you might share your public signal with those who are not part of the community - by charging them something like 3€ per day.
Anyway, I'm gonna invite you from the website.. you'll be able to get La Fonera (the wi-fi router) just for 20 buks!
This is the way to create a community for free internet access.. wherever we dicide!! we're 400.000 hotspots out there! have a look at the map on the site.
Obviously, whoevere is interested, just ask!
Yeeh!

Nic said...

uhm.. you'll need an ethernet adsl modem as well to let it work. Usb is not supported!